Monday, July 19, 2010

It's Supposed To Be Hard

There is an inspiring movie I love titled A League of Their Own. My most favorite scene is when Tom Hank's character, Jimmy Dugan, lectures Geena Davis' character, Dottie, on the greatness of baseball. Dottie is leaving the team to go home and Jimmy is frustrated with how easily she let it go. In her defense, Dottie says, "It just got too hard" then Jimmy replies, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Isn't that the case with everything wonderful? I believe so. Especially with music. Sometimes it feels like you've been working so hard for so long and nothing has happened--you've seen no progress, no income and it can often be a thankless job where no one understands your potential. And I am sure that there are times when you want to do what Dottie did and pack up and go home, telling yourself that 'it just got too hard.' But don't do it! All the hard work, the creativity, the blood, sweat and tears will pay off one day.
I believe that music is something that is beyond ourselves and is much harder to master than anything else in this world. Don't worry--I'm not going to go into this big shpill about how music is divine and universal in all forms (look up the great musicians in history and they will tell you that). But I will say it is one of the hardest things. Yes, it is more difficult than baseball (Dugan, I'm sorry if you read that) but it is definitely worth it and only the best make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment