Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Timeless Versus The Trend

I teach Gospel, Pop, Broadway and Opera styles of singing and I used to teach different techniques, depending on what the student wanted. Nowadays, I only teach Bel Canto. After all my study and experience, I like to stick with what is so good that it remains unchanged because it has proved something of itself...
There is a difference between the timeless and the trendy. Although, the trendy can be bigger than the timeless for the moment, it wont last and fades into a new trend. But the timeless beauty remains and is the default to the failed or fading. The fact that Bel Canto has been the same since the days of Bach, Mozart and Tchaikovsky, and is a healthy and strong technique, I teach this.
It is like ballet. Hip-Hop, Modern and Jazz will change over time but the basics of ballet are the techniques that get you through every art of dance and movement. As a dancer, I know this from experience, as well.
If you listen to the greatest artists who were able to keep their art strong their entire, long lives (Deanna Durbin, Pavarotti, Marion Anderson, etc.), you will see someone who is truly experienced and educated in a perfect, timeless and true art. They can change from one genre to the other (Heather Headley is a great example) without hurting themselves or commercializing their voice.
I know the big names nowadays are Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, etc.--they're music is great and fun to listen to--I listen to them on the radio all the time. So I teach those different genres but I refuse to lower the expectations of a student by not teaching healthy, correct singing. True, it is harder work but it lasts for the rest of life when done correctly.
That is my definition of a timeless art--something that is so good, so perfect that, no matter what the trends bring, it will never be changed.
I guess this could be used in any field--what proves constant through history, changes, trials, discoveries and trends? Whatever that is, that is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment